Application Detection Senior Engineer/Analyst
Company Background: The Now Factory, an IBM Company, provides real-time insights into how customers use data services, enabling Communication Service Providers (CSPs) to optimise the customer experience and drive greater profitability. Our people are at the heart of our success and we constantly strive to attract and retain the best and brightest with the energy and ambition to take their careers to the next level. More information on the company can be found at www.thenowfactory.com
As part of our continued growth, we are looking for talented individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, who have the drive and passion to succeed and want to be part of an exciting, young company going places.
In return, we offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits and an innovative and creative work environment that values, promotes and rewards employees.
Due to our continuing expansion into new markets and the recent acquisition by IBM in October 2013, we wish to recruit an experienced App Detection Senior Engineer/Analyst to join our App Detection Team in the Innovation Dept. based in our Sandyford offices in Dublin, Ireland.
The Application Detection Team is responsible for conducting detailed analysis of user application traffic on mobile networks and implementing, validating and maintaining complex logic and rules to detect such applications, They also keep abreast of developments in the App landscape, analysing trends and providing internal support by interacting with Product Managers, Professional Service Engineers, Engineering and Support as well as external support to customers.
The Application Detection Team plays a crucial role in shaping the continuous evolution of the application detection capabilities of The Now Factory’s CEM/CEA solutions. As the mobile data landscape changes rapidly with new applications being launched daily and being adopted by users at never before seen rates, CSPs must be able to react and quickly gain visibility of these new applications. The Application Detection Team acts as an authority within the company on user plane application detection and provide detailed documentation and guidance for interpreting results.
The Application Detection Senior Engineer/Analyst will be responsible for:
- Conducting active testing using state of the art mobile devices and live network traffic to reproduce application usage and generate sample traffic capture for analysis
- Performing packet level analysis of traffic captures to identify unique application signatures
- Implementing new logic and rules based on traffic analysis using signature based as well as statistical based methods
- Constant reviewing of detection logics and rules to ensure data accuracy
- Validating implemented rules using active testing on live networks.
- Providing quality up to date documentation and hints for the interpretation of detection based KPIs
- Providing feature description and guidance for developers to implement specific features to extend the real time detection capabilities of the The Now Factory’s Data Collectors
- Monitoring of the industry and market to keep up to date on new, up and coming applications, services and devices in the mobile telecoms and web technologies space
- Supporting any internal team regarding questions, training and any other issues relating to application detection
- Supporting Account Managers and customers regarding any questions, training and any other issue related to app detection and the interpretation of its results.
- Helping to manage and prioritize requests from customers for specific application detection
- Degree in IT/Computer Science/Telecommunications or similar field preferred
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Detailed knowledge of TCP/IP networking at protocol and packet level
- Solid understanding of upper layer protocols up into the Application Layer such as HTTP, SSL, RTSP, RTMP, SIP, DNS, etc.
- Highly proficient in use of Wireshark protocol analyser
- Strong shell/perl/awk scripting skills on Linux platforms
- Strong technical background with knowledge of and experience in computer systems, networks, architectures and web technologies
- Knowledge of and experience in Mobile Networks/OSS/BSS architecture environments from a deployment, operation or product development perspective.
- A keen interest in the technical workings of web technologies including cloud computing, streaming protocols, VOIP and messaging protocols, as well as mobile devices, services and platforms
- Excellent problem-solving and analysis skills are a must
- Attention to the detail and ability to contextualize it in the big picture and orientate solutions to satisfy the customer specific needs
- Dynamic and lively personality with a ‘can do’ attitude towards understanding customer issues and finding solutions
- Ability to show initiative and operate individually or as part of a team.
- Appreciation of the commercial environment in which our customers operate especially with respect to their business dynamics and drivers.
- Keen interest in the global trends in terms of technologies, Apps and mobile devices. Anxious to keep abreast of developing
- Previous experience in a test or validation role, especially in call processing/analysis, would be a particular advantage
- Experience gained from executing on-site projects, especially the setup of services/ platforms/ billing/ policy-control systems in telco operator environments would be a particular advantage.
- Experience in developing Apps in one or more of the major frameworks (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, etc…) would be a particular advantage.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Experience working both within a Telecoms organisation and a Technology Vendor
- Both consolidated and emerging business experience
- Strong English communication skills in written and verbal form.
- Good documentation skills
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the right candidate. For any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact Tony Fernandez via mobile 0864068899 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.